Everyday Recipe – Homemade Fruit Scones
Homemade Fruit Scones
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 25g/1oz caster sugar
- 50g/2oz unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 150ml/¼ pint milk
- 25g Fruit… use your favourite… raisins/blueberries/raspberries
- 1 egg, beaten, or plain flour, for brushing or dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar, add the butter and rub quickly into the flour, creating a fine breadcrumb consistency
- Add the milk, a little at a time, working to a smooth dough
- 15 minutes before rolling
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface until 2cm/¾in thick. Using a 5cm/2in pastry cutter, cut the dough, using one sharp tap and not twisting the dough as you cut. Twisting the scone mix will result in an uneven rising.
- Once cut, the scones can be either brushed with the beaten egg for a shiny glaze, or dusted with the flour for a matt finish.
- Place the scones on a greased baking tray and bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes until golden-brown. Allow to cool slightly, and serve while still warm
Complete with freshly whipped cream, jam and butter, and you will have the perfect homemade scones !